It’s Tax Day! Do You Need More Time to File Forms 1040, 1041, or 1120?

Today is your last chance to file an IRS tax Extension!

The clock is ticking and the IRS is waiting…not so patiently for you to file. Here’s your guide to successfully filing an extension for the 2021 tax year. 

Today’s deadline includes Form 1040 for personal tax returns and Forms 1120 and 1041 for C corporations and trusts (business tax returns). 

While filing an extension does not apply to your IRS tax payment, extending the deadline to file your return can save you time and prevent penalties for incorrect filing. 

Do you need more time to file these forms? Here is what you need to know to successfully file an extension with the IRS. 

How to File Extension Form 4868? 

Form 4868 is a fairly easy form to file as long as you have all the necessary information. You must complete your request for an extension and submit it to the IRS on or before the original deadline of your form, a.k.a tonight at midnight. 

Generally filing an extension 4868 successfully will provide you with an additional 6 months to file your return, taking your new deadline out to October 15, 2022.

To complete your Form 4868 extension, you will need to provide your basic information such as your legal name, address, and SSN. Be sure that this information matches the IRS records. 

How to File Extension Form 7004?

Form 7004 provides an automatic extension for business income tax returns for up to six months when filed properly, extending the deadline until October 15, 2022. If you are extending the deadline to file Forms 1120 or 1041, this is the form for you!

The good news is that Form 7004 is a straightforward form with a simple purpose. 

Once you have the information needed to file, you’ll be surprised to find that completing Form 7004 is pretty easy! You will need to know:

  • Your business type (estate, trust, C corporation, etc)
  • The business’ basic information, like the name EIN, and address (remember, for approval this information must match what the IRS has on file).
  • Which tax form you are requesting an extension for.
  • The start and end date of your tax year, do you operate on a calendar year?
  • Your estimated tax payment.

How Can I File an Extension?

Did you know that our sister product, ExpressExtension has an easy solution for e-filing IRS Tax extensions! 

Did you know that you can file in minutes and get instant updates on the status of your extension form?

ExpressExtension is an IRS-authorized, SOC 2 certified provider of IRS Tax extensions, not only can you file easily and accurately, but with the highest level of data security. 

Request an extension now! 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *