IRS and State ACA Reporting Deadlines for the 2022 Tax Year
ACA Reporting Requirements – An Overview
When it comes to ACA reporting, employers are required to file ACA Forms 1095-B or 1095-C with its transmittal form 1094-B or 1094-C with the IRS.
These forms describe the health insurance coverage that was offered to their eligible employees or covered individuals during the tax year. Copies of these forms must also be distributed to the covered individuals.
IRS ACA Reporting Deadlines
The deadline for filing paper copies of ACA forms 1094 and 1095 with the IRS is February 28, 2023.
The deadline to file these forms electronically is March 31, 2023.
The deadline to distribute recipient copies is March 2, 2023.
*The IRS has made an update from the 2022 tax year that permanently extends the deadline for distributing copies to March 2nd.
State ACA Reporting Requirements – An Overview
In addition to filing with the IRS, some states require employers and insurance providers to file ACA Forms with the state agency as well. Here are the states that have an individual mandate:
- The District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
Because residents of these states need to provide information proving they were enrolled in affordable health insurance coverage during the tax year, they will need this documentation from their provider.
Here are the deadlines for ACA Reporting with each mandated state:
California Reporting Deadlines
- This state requires that employers and health insurance providers file Form 1094-B/C and 1095-B/C with the California Franchise Tax Board by March 31, 2023.
- The deadline to distribute copies of the ACA forms is January 31, 2023.
District of Columbia (D.C) Reporting Deadlines
- In the District of Columbia, employers and insurance carriers must file their Forms 1094-B/C and 1095 B/C with the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue by April 30, 2023.
- Recipient copies must be distributed by March 2, 2023.
New Jersey Reporting Deadlines
- The state of New Jersey requires that employers and health insurance providers e-file Form 1094-B/C and 1095-B/C with the state by March 31, 2023.
- The deadline to distribute copies of the ACA forms is March 2, 2023.
Rhode Island Reporting Deadlines
- Employers and insurance providers must submit their Forms 1094-B/C and 1095 B/C to the Rhode Island Division of Taxation by March 31, 2023.
- Copies of the forms must be distributed to recipients by March 2, 2023.
Massachusetts Reporting Deadlines
It is important to note that Massachusetts is the only state with its own separate form for reporting coverage information, this is the Form 1099-HC.
- The deadline to file the MA 1099-HC Form with the state of Massachusetts is January 31, 2023.
- The deadline to distribute copies of the forms is January 31, 2023.
A Complete Solution for IRS and State Reporting
ACAwise is an industry-leading provider of ACA reporting solutions! Our experienced team is able to carry out the ACA reporting needs for organizations of any size.
The ACAwise solution includes data validations, the generation and e-filing of accurate Forms 1094-B/C and 1095-B/C with the IRS and state, complete ACA code generation, recipient copy distribution, past-year filing, and more.
Interested in learning more about our solutions and getting your reporting process underway? Reach out to our team today for more information and for a free quote.